Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Sunday at Home

I'm sitting here surfing the net and trying to make improvements to how my blog looks (trying out new things) on a Sunday morning, during a time when I would normally be leaving for church.  Before I go any further, I will say that the picture of the rose above is huge!  It's from our yard (last year), and to represent spring, I thought it was appropriate.  It just really stands out doesn't it?

So as I stated, I'm here instead of going to church, and that is because I went to church last night.  My daughter & I are teaching 2 & 3 year olds during the Saturday night service this month.   So we can sleep in for both days of the weekend and not just Saturday.   After August, I'll need to leave that job because my son will be graduating to the Jr. High group in the fall, and because of his autism, he really can't sit in the regular church service alone.  

So it's Sunday morning, and we're home and ready for it to be our son's bedtime already.  This kid is all over the place looking for old pieces of cardboard on which he had drawn signs, as well has the large fat pens he used to draw with.  He can't find them, and he doesn't look very hard.  This is a boy who will walk into a cluttered room, scan it and then declare, "It's not here!".    He'll sort of ask, in a demanding tone, that we help him find them.  However, when we help him, he stops looking.  If he doesn't find what he's looking for, then he'll declare that it/they were stolen (yes, robbers came in, and stole cardboard and markers and left all of the electronics).  Then if he still can't find them, he borders on having a meltdown which includes tears.  So we as parents are constantly trying to help him stay focused, and think things through and not to get discouraged, and remind him that he needs to control himself and watch his attitude or he could lose his "good report" and his trip to Sonic in a week and a half.  

So after typing that whole paragraph, the boy finally found the markers and the cardboard.  His sister had been using the markers on a project in her room (not on the walls!).  So now all is well in his world, at 10AM. 

Now, I'm debating on whether or not, it would be wise to take a walk.  The sun was shining when we woke up, but now the skies are cloudy and in Oregon, there's always a good chance of rain (light rain would be ok though).

Happy Sunday!

No comments: