Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago......

I woke up this morning to see Facebook statuses featuring the same question: "Where were you 10 years ago when you heard the news?"

So I thought that I would answer that as well.

Ten years ago, when I first awoke, I went to the computer to see what was on the ABCnews website.  The first headline was that a plane had crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center.  My first thoughts were that it was a small plane, like a Cessna and that it was an accident.  Then I updated the site and discovered that another plane had hit the second tower, both planes were commercial airplanes, and that this was no longer considered an accident.  So I turned on the TV, and called out to my husband, telling him what was going on.   At the time, he was working a temp job, so I don't remember if he was getting ready for work or not.  My kids were 5 & 3, and had no understanding or interest in the news.   Then that first tower fell, and soon after, the second one did as well, and I was shocked and grieved at thinking of all of those lives lost in such a short span of time.

  As the day went on, I kept the tv on.   At one point, I did need to run an errand, and while in the car, driving on the freeway, I had the radio on, listening to the news, which at the time was describing where the President was going.  I remember thinking that perhaps, that information should have not been shared.   The word that I've seen on other blogs, describing the feeling that day is "surreal".  I felt that way as the day went on.  Traffic was minimal while I was running my errand, and I had a sense that the world had changed and not for the better.  My kids were going to have a different sense of being safe and secure than I did as a child.   They don't remember that day, and they don't remember when the subsequent war started, but they've heard us talk about it, and have heard news reports about it over the years to the point that this is their "normal".

Ep 

No comments: